The definition of automation is the use of machines and technology to make processes run on their own without man power.
Automation refers to the use of computers and other automated machinery for the execution of business related task. It is the integration of standard fields and management information technology. ”Management Information Technology” refers to a combination of information technology, communication, networking management and information management.
It is a technology dealing with the application of mechatronics, computers for the production of goods and services. There are different types of automation:
- Fixed automation(hard automation):
- Custom-engineered, special purpose equipment to automate a fixed sequence of operations.
- High production rates and inflexible product design.
- Programmable automation(soft automation):
- Equipment design to accumulate a special class of product changes.
- Batch production, medium volume.
- Flexible automation:
- Design to manufacture a variety of products or parts.
- Low production rates, varying product design and demand.
The biggest benefit of automation is that it saves labor, however it is also used to save energy and materials and to improve quality accuracy and precision.